My Favorite Books

Monday, September 21, 2009

Another week begins

I had a very good weekend starting out with Carol and Mary and trekking to Ann Arbor to listen to Nancy Eha's bead lecture. Of course, we had to have lunch at Zingerman's Roadhouse! Yum!! No, I didn't take pics this time of our lunch. Was that good or bad?? After lunch, we took off to U of M Hospital to see Mary's exhibit hung through the hospitals Gifts of Art program. Mary's art quilts look SO nice hung and I'm sure will give pleasure to lots of folks walking the halls.

Here are some of Mary's pieces....I didn't take pics of all of them. If you click on the pictures, you'll see the pieces better. They are beautiful!
They display very nicely!

So walking the hallway the Gift of Art program has lots of exhibit ongoing at the hospital. These were beading sculptures by Betsy Youngquist. They are fabulous!! You know how much I love beading but putting beads on a sculpture is beyond me! She calls her work 'sculptural mosaics'.

Just look at the detail she did with her beads! Wow!

Most of my friends know how hung up I am on Margaret Ball's book 'Embeadery'. I do go to her blog almost daily to see what's new in her bead life. On her most recent blog post, she showed how to do a twisted ribbon w/beads. So I had to try this new stitch! Of course with Margaret's instructions it's very easy to do. So I did! Here are my ribbon stitches w/beads. I used some cheap bugle beads I picked up at a flea market along with cheap seed beads...you know the old saying 'don't do as I do, do as I say'...well, DO NOT use cheap beads. I keep my cheap beads for testing stitches or fiber cards or ATC's..the stitches would be more even if you "use Japanese beads" (per Margaret's email to me). But I'm still happy with the stitch.
I did finish over dyeing my large shibori piece which I'll show tomorrow the do's and do not's! But after seeing Nancy Eha's pieces and now learning this new stitch I have some idea on what I'm going to do with that piece. Pics to follow tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your work. The twisted beads are wonderful. I also went to Margaret's blog. We both live in Austin, so see each other at fiber events and meetings.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!