I started with a coloring page of a horse I found online designed by Keiti Davlin. It seemed like the perfect pattern that I could free motion quilt.
I reversed the horse, sectioned off areas and traced onto paper.
Then I traced onto my background fabric; sandwiched the piece with batting and used Sulky dark variegated 12 wt thread to stitch the outline and sectioned areas. Next I used a lighter shade 12 wt variegated thread to free motion each section.
This was the fun part!.. cutting the horse out of the background! But I did it and no stitching/threads were harmed in the process! Before I cut it out I did fuse Wonder Under on the back so I could fuse the the background.
I found this batik fabric while shopping with my Q bud, Susan. I sandwiched then free motion quilted following some of the design(s) on the fabric. Cording was added and facing to finish off the edges. This picture shows the purple cording (you can see on the left and right sides) and the top and bottom where I started adding the yellow facing.
This shows how the edges look after the facing was turned to the back.
Before I fused the Unicorn, I cut out a horn from ultra suede I just happened to have bought with me! Then I fused the entire piece, added some iron-on Rhinestones and used felt pen to color his eye!
He doesn't have a name but I'm quite happy with how he turned out. Now onto the next theme quilt, which is due March 31st!