My Favorite Books

Friday, April 10, 2009

Musings - Nature Becomes My Muse

On Thursday our small fiber group met for our monthly get together and lunch. We had a really nice visit showing our work and seeing what everyone has done. Since I've been gone it was nice to see their work in person vs the pictures. This is a really talented group of women and it's so easy to be inspired in your work just by seeing what everyone else does. So I got to finally show my Musings piece I did for the SAQA exhibit. 'Musings' is a juried show that will be held in Grand Rapids from June thru August this summer. Because it is a juried show, I don't know if I'll get in or not so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed! Of the six of us in our group, 3 of us did enter a quilt in the show. My friend Carol painted a circle piece that is spectacular and I'll post her quilt after the show has been selected and is on exhibit. She did a beautiful job on it. I haven't seen Mary's piece yet but I'm sure it's stunning as all of her work is! So this is a closeup of my Musings piece (click on first picture to see the whole quilt) . It's called 'Nature Becomes My Muse - My Muse Becomes My Art'...deep isn't it!

This is a rather large piece, 36" x 55" but I did have fun working on it. I sun printed the large leaves several years ago when I attended a five day workshop in Ohio with Mickey Lawler. The leaves are machine appliqued and I painted over my free motion quilting (words and flower edges). There's a great book called 'Fall Photographs' by Christopher Griffiths that I used to make my leaves. This is a fantastic book that displays one leaf on each of the large pages of this book. Really cool if you're into leaves or just photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!