My Favorite Books

Saturday, May 4, 2019

More of my Gal Pals from Florida!

Because I print out my blog posts each year (via Blog2Print), I want to make sure to include some more 'gal pals' from Florida.  Some I've recently met and some I've known for 14 winters!  They each have contributed to making my winters so enjoyable, creative and just plain fun!!!  To each one, I say THANK YOU and I'll miss you all!!

I'm putting these in alphabetic order!  Didn't want anyone feel slighted for not being the first one on this post, because you are all first in my mind!!!

For some reason, I never got a picture of our next door neighbor, Carol (that's her better half, Dave) and I together!  Carol had just 'moved in' last year shortly before we headed north.  This year we did get to enjoy dinner out with Carol and Dave a few times.  Carol and I had some girl time too!  Farmer's market, Hearts Desire (my fav store), Ocala Heritage tour, etc. They'll be heading back up north sometime in May.  Luckily, Carol has a brother that lives about 20 miles from us in Michigan so we're hoping to see each other this summer!


Next up is my pal, Elizabeth and her adorable pup,  Ranger!  Actually, I should include this on the girls blog!  This is one of the few dogs Gigi likes!  Yes, she has actually played with Ranger the past few years!  Elizabeth shows Ranger in agility and I'm so proud of all she has accomplished with him.  Ranger is also a rescue and just the cutest little dog!  The girls and I would meet up with them on our nightly walks several times a week.  I will certainly miss our chats when we walk!  And I think so will the girls.  They both would always look up at Elizabeth's house to see if they were waiting for us.
I'll will continue to keep in touch with Elizabeth to see and hear about  Ranger's agility runs!  Love seeing that little guy run an agility course!!!




Kay, me and Beth
These are some pals that I have blogged about before.   I've followed Kay's blog for several years and just happened to do a lecture/trunk show of my quilts at her art group in Summerfield a few years ago.  We knew we recognized each other but couldn't remember where!  Kay finally said "I follow your blog" and I said "I follow your blog"!  See how friendships start.  Well, we've been friends in person since that meeting.  I have been so inspired by Kay and her work as well as her critiquing of my work, which I welcome.  Kay has just been selected to receive the Anderson Arts Center's Lifetime Achievement Award for her dedication to advancing the arts in Kenosha County.  Actually, Kay is recognized nationally for her efforts in teaching, for her beautiful workmanship (yes, she made that quilt in the background) and for her innovative techniques she has developed over the years.  Kay recently had shoulder surgery so I hope she gets back to creating soon!

I was introduced to Beth by Kay!  Once again, I've blogged on Beth's work several times on my blog.  In fact, you can see a post I did from last year here.  I've been inspired by Beth's productivity as well as her talents.  She is like the Energizer Bunny when it comes to producing art work.  Her Santa dolls are spectacular and are shipped all over the states.  Beth also has roots in Michigan so who knows...we could meet for a day somewhere!

This is another fiber art buddy, Nancy!  I was also introduced to Nancy by Kay, when they started a small art group in Florida a few winters ago and they invited me to join.  Nancy is another talented pal who is always up for learning new techniques!  She and her hubby are quite the travelers and have taken several wonderful trips/cruises,( e.g. Panama Canal!).   You can see some of her work from this post I did last year.  Nancy is also from Michigan but they are smart enough to live full time in Florida now to avoid all that traffic and hassle.  These three ladies, along with myself , were part of a Challenge Kay asked us to collaborate on.  You can see our finished quilt here.   I've been very fortunate to be inspired by these three ladies and will always cherish our play time and friendship.

Here is Karah, as known as the 'sherriff' of Ocala Palms!  Girls and I were visiting recently so a picture was called for.  Karah's hubby, Howard, is another golf buddy of Bob's and we've been friends for over 9 or 10 years.  Bob actually golfed with Howard and I finally met Karah when we moved to Jan/Larry's house 9 years ago.  Howard is also part of the Pickin At The Palms musical group, which performs twice a month at the clubhouse! Howard plays guitar and sings.  Karah gives him a run for the money at having a sense of humor!  They are a hoot together!

Karah and Howard are also our Freezer restaurant buds!!!  They love The Freezer as much as Bob does!  Karah is a sweetheart and is known to all in the community!  We'll miss our time with both she and Howard!

This is my shopping pal, Marcia!!  Again, I met Marcia via Bob golfing with her hubby, Gary.  Sadly, Gary passed away this past winter.  I've known Marcia for 9 years and she is also one of the original 'Zippers'!!!  Marcia was so excited to go zip lining (NOT!) so she made up our group of four back in 2014!  You can read about our zip lining day on my post here.  Also, back in 2014, Gary and Marcia took me to a  retirement farm for horses.  You can read about that day trip here...it was so interesting and the lunch was good too!!  Besides zip lining, Marcia and I have gone to art fairs, farmer's market and our annual trips to the Villages just to name a few!  I'll miss our winter get together!!!




Patti is another pal who I just got to know more this past winter!  Figures, doesn't it...just when we leave!   We actually had a chance to go to dinner with Patti and her hubby, Bob, twice this winter.   It was very pleasant to get to know them both this year.  Once again, too bad it took us so long to get together!







Anyway, Patti is a sweet lady and dog lover.  Over the past few years we would meet in the street walking the dogs.  Well, this worked out quite well until 3 years ago when Gigi joined the group.  Yep....she doesn't like Patti's dogs!  How could you not like Lilli and Ellie!!!  Actually, one night while I was walking the girls, Patti and Bob drove up in their golf cart, with their girls and we talked without Gigi growling or barking!  Who knew we could have a quiet talk! Guess we should have just met each other on our golf carts!






And last but by no means least, my bud, Peggy!  Peg is another artist and just a good friend to have had over this past 14 years.  Bob met Sammy the 1st year we visited Ocala and we've been friends with them since that time.  Sadly, Sammy passed away last fall.

Peg and I have done lots of fun things over the years....art shows, museums, carriage rides (along with Marcia!), arm knitting - not your grandma's knitting, playing with alcohol inks...just lots of different play days!  Peggy is a wonderful artist.  The painting behind us is one she did SEVERAL years ago when she was just starting.  Her watercolor art work is beautiful and isn't an easy medium to work in.  I'll miss my winters with Peg as well.

So I hope my readers enjoy meeting some more of my friends.  I am so, so, so very lucky to say these woman are my friends and I'll always remember the times I've had....mainly because I have my blog to look back at the memories!  Thank you all!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great memories- and what an armload of cuteness with the three little dogs! Not like Ellie and Lilli? Unheard of! But Gigi likes what she likes and she's sticking to that.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!