My Favorite Books

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Early Cinco de Mayo dinner with friends!

OK, really it wasn't a Cinco de Mayo celebration...instead it was a WONDERFUL farewell dinner hosted by Verna the Thursday before we left Florida! 


Once again Verna outdid herself preparing the tacos (shredded chicken/beef or pork with all the fixings), cheese enchiladas, beef enchiladas, refried beans, appetizers, cheese dip (made by Verna's sous chef, Jan!), Margarita's (Verna's own recipe, which is fantastic!) and two different ice creams along with  chocolate, salted Carmel and fresh strawberry toppings!!!   I know I'm missing some dishes...but you get the jest of her menu!  This was my plate!  And yes, that was my Margarita!
Patric and Bob

John and Mac digging in

Ladies socializing!

Patrick and Ron 

Patrick's legs, Ron, Harvey, Bob and Larry hiding


Yes...it was all delicious and Bob and I can't thank Verna enough for all her effort preparing this fabulous meal so we could enjoy one last evening with the 'OP dozen'!  I tried to merge two pics so you can see our Thursday group!  










 In 2009 Larry (far right in the "pink" shirt) offered us his home for the winter and that's when we were welcomed into the OP dozen group.   That's a lot of dinners over these past ten years.  Each Thursday one of them/us (we make it a baker's dozen plus 1 = 14!) pick a different restaurant to meet at 5:30.  It's always a fun time chatting, eating, complaining, teasing...just having a great time with friends.  I always have looked forward to this weekly evening...and I will surely miss them next winter.  Hope my readers enjoy meeting some of my gal pals from this group!

You have often read my posts on Jan and Larry!  This is the sous chef, Jan, and Larry's better half!  Jan is another great cook and makes the best cheese dip, which we had at the Mexican dinner!!!
And she's the best friend you could ask for! 
Jan put together a photo book of our time in Ocala Palms!  I can't believe all the pictures Jan put in this book!  It is and will always be a special gift I will cherish.  Here are just a few of the pages:





Jan even made a page dedicated to the visits I had with my sister!  The background was made using a photo of my sister's orchids!




The Freezer is Bob's favorite place to go in Florida!



Isn't this just so special!  I wish everyone could see the entire book!!!  It is awesome!











My readers will  know my Q bud, Susan.  I've posted often on her beautiful quilting...all hand quilting and her reverse applique method she created is awesome!  I will miss our quilt shop trips, lunches and getting lost...oops...secrets out, right Susan!




Marilyn may not remember this but in 2009 she and John invited Bob and I to their house for dinner to get to know each other.  We had a great meal and you can read about that night here.  Thank goodness for my blog or I wouldn't have remembered either, Marilyn!






Jan is another Michigander!  Well, at least she and Mac used to be.  They are now full time Florida residents!  Jan is also a knitter and avid walker!!!!  She walks at 6:00 a.m.!  At 6:00 a.m. I'm getting up to go to the bathroom and back to bed!  You go girl!!! 





And this is Patricia...the better half of Pat!  Patricia is my idol for sure...for lots of reasons, which I won't go into on my blog.  She is a golfer as well as a walker the days she doesn't golf!  She has more energy than four of us!




And last but not least is the talented Verna!  My readers have heard me go on and on about her cakes and I've shared some of the wonderful dinners she has put on for the group.  Verna is also VERY talented at creating beautiful heirloom items.  She is the "Martha Pullen" of Ocala Palms...you have to be familiar with "Martha" to understand.  This is a compliment to Verna.  Her work and workmanship are outstanding.  Verna also quilts, cooks and bakes....and she's just as nice and sweet as her smile above! 

I posted this winter on an ice dye day we had, which was so much fun.  I'm sorry Verna and I didn't get together more to experiment with dyes and paints.  She, Susan and I did toot around to quilt shops together over the years, which was nice.  But I just know I could get into more trouble with this friend in my life.  She's already got me hooked on Starbuck's cold brew drink!  She's converted me over from my White Mocha!  HA

So thanks again, Verna, for a wonderful evening!!!!  Bob and I will always reflect back on this last evening with the group!  And I have Jan's photo book to remember the other good times from this crazy group!!!  Thank you one and all for all the good times!!!

2 comments:

  1. You won't miss the drive, but THIS you will miss! How thoughtful to put together the photo book of all those years. A treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure chest of friend you have!!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!