My Favorite Books

Friday, May 22, 2009

You cut up a quilt how??

My friend, Mary (check out her website on my sidebar), is always cutting up her quilts and sewing them back together to make a unique piece of art. For the Salvaged Threads Fiber Art Show this year, Mary submitted 3 pieces that were made cutting up her quilts! You can see these pieces on the Salvaged Threads blog page. This exhibit juried in 'repurposed' or used materials in the piece. I had one of my pieces accepted and you can see and read about it here. All of the quits are 'for sale' and there are some really nice pieces. Mary sold one of hers already!!
Mary has cut up her quilts for a long time and inspired me a few years ago to do the same with one of my pieces. I did end up making several ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) from a piece I cut. It was fun and a little scary but makes good use of a quilt you aren't hanging or showing. I do save my pieces I cut off of my quilts when getting ready to bind or face. Being inspired by Mary and the Kemshalls (Linda & Laura), last fall I cut circles into one of my art pieces. What fun!!! I beaded around the edges and added 3 circles cut from the excess quilt to the bottom. I love doing this type of hand work and I think it added something to the piece. You can click on the images to see the work closeup.
Circles (Oct. 2008) 17" x 16"
Here is a close up of the cut out circle
These are circles I added at the bottom
So have fun and cut up those quilts or left over pieces of your art work! It was in the high 70's/low 80's yesterday but not supposed to be as warm today. Only in mid 70's which is perfect. Bob and I did go to Salvadore Scallopini's for dinner which was fantastic! And we stopped at Dairy Queen for a blizzard! So I just shot my sugar/carb/fat intake for the week!!! Actually, we only ate half our meal, 1 slice of bread and I didn't eat all my blizzard! I've really been trying to watch my cholesterol so guess it will be an additional 30 min. on the treadmill or working out with Gillad today! Guess it was worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!