My Favorite Books

Monday, March 28, 2022

Dispersed Dye Quilt Finished!

I finished the disperse dyed quilt this past weekend and hung in our master bath!  I'm pleased with how it turned out...especially after I struggled with the layout and design!

I started with lots of disperse dyed blocks.  Disperse dyeing is a process of painting papers with a special dye, while wet I laid leaves on the wet dye and covered with plastic wrap.  After it's totally dry, you iron the painted side down on fabric and the dye/pattern will transfer.  This is a touchy process as some fabrics take longer and more heat than others.  

You're only suppose to use disperse dyes on poly type fabric but since I don't wash my quilts, I use cotton!




This was my first idea/design!



and then the madness began with layout after layout...



And more layouts


Yep..still layout out




Adding blocks...taking blocks away



Then decided to use small strips!



Finally, I was happy with the layout...now to hand embroidery the large leaf blocks



I tried to use different threads for each block or at least for the different stems



and then the free motion quilting began!  I haven't quilted in SO long but I have to say I enjoyed this process!



Added embroidery stitches on strips




More threads



More quilting



I blended different color threads in sections rather than using the same color of thread

I'm quite happy with the results...and here's a quick animation I put together of the process!  Hope you enjoy!



 

4 comments:

  1. It's a lovely subtle piece. And so many details and steps in the process. Thanks for breaking it down and showing the stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You quilt turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! The dark lines are a perfect complement to the subtle colors of the organic leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's completely awesome! I love that you already hung it up too!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!