My Favorite Books

Thursday, March 10, 2022

YARN Documentary

 Yesterday, my friend, Carol and I met at the Flint Institute of Art to see a documentary film called YARN.  You can see a synopsis on the film here or watch it on YouTube here.  I have to say it was interesting even though some of it was Closed Caption due to the languages being spoke.  

 



There were certainly some colorful artists shown, one by the name of Olek (you can read about her in Wikipedia).  She and a group of folks actually would crochet panels that they used to cover an entire train engine and a box car behind it!  I believe she lived in Poland but ended up coming to New York to make a name for herself.  She is quite the character....you can see more of her work here!







The other very interesting artist was Toshiko MacAdam (again, read about her here).

This is a textile playground for kids!!!  It looks like so much fun and to hear Toshiko talk about how the children interact with each other and the enjoyment they get from her 'art work'.  



I think I was more impressed with Toshiko's work than anything.  


And yes, she crochets all these pieces!!!  Notice the gloves on her hands!  She's crocheting with different synthetic fibers, such as Vinylon.  

They did show some of her earlier knitting sculptures, which were beautiful but I couldn't locate them.  

If you get a chance, do watch YARN!  











2 comments:

  1. What fun, Robbie! I'm glad you mentioned the materials- I was wondering about the strength of yarn in a play gym for children! Looks like all is safe, colorful and fun. I'll check it out on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine the number of hours it took to cover the train!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!