My Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The excitment of knitting!


Actually, the only excitement of knitting is being surprise you figured something out!  HA  My blood pressure has gone up and down quite a bit since I started this lace Top!  But, I have to say I have taught myself so much during this process!!!!!   

I finished the binding on my lace top for the body...I tried a new method so that the bind off wouldn't be tight.  I watched several videos and ended up using a technique where you add a YO in between each bind off (in pattern).  I liked the way it looked and it was stretchy but not saggy!







Next up was starting on my sleeves!  I'm almost at the finish line...so exciting...and I did, finish a sleeve that is!





I finished knitting the sleeve, added ribbing and,once again, used a new bind off technique!  This one is call the Italian Bind off and it was on one of Suzanne Bryan's YouTubes which you can see here.  It's really a nice bind off and she also shows a Tubular Bind off that would be perfect for caps or long sleeves, etc.  Just this little bit of bind off took me 2 1/2 hours!  I had to keep watching Suzanne's video to make sure I was doing it correctly!  Yes, I did practice on a swatch I had but I still get nervous when doing something on my 'real' knitting!

And I tried my top on and it fits!!!!!!!!  Whew!!!!  And that's before it's even blocked...so I am/was a happy camper...





Bob thought the top looked so good on as well...then I mentioned to him that I wish I had made the sleeve longer...it's just a short sleeve....hmmmmmmmmmmm    He said "you're right, it might look better".  

I decided that if I didn't make the sleeves longer, I would be pulling on them or I wouldn't wear the top as often as I would like...so what else to do but FROG IT!

Yep...I even had a dream about how to go about ripping out the ribbing and picking up the stitches!  Only big problem I had was ripping out that new Italian bind off!  Holy heck, the sleeves will never unravel with that bind off!  HA I ended up cutting through the ribbing after I cut off the binding!

And here I am!!!  I picked up the 76 stitches I needed for the sleeve!  WHEW!!  This was a major task for me.  At one point, I was almost in tears thinking I ruined my top!!!  And I would never be able to get the stitches picked back up!  But I did it!!!!  I was so excited I text my sister (she's making the same top!) to let her know what I did! HA

So now it's a matter of straight knitting and making the sleeve as long as I want...I'm thinking of about 3/4/to my elbow.  I'd be more comfortable with that length.  

And, yes, I am looking at a new pattern to knit something else!


4 comments:

  1. You are a glutton for punishment! Finish the sleeves then decide to make them longer! The top is beautiful and you have the patience of a saint to keep plugging away at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top is so gorgeous! I can't wait to see you model it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute and I'm sure you look wonderful in it. Sounds like the ripping out was quite stressful but in the end you will be glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you took a big risk! But it paid off and you were successful. It is such a pretty top and your knitting looks so consistent and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!