My Favorite Books

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Well, I did it!

My buds have been cleaning out their sewing areas/fabrics/etc. so I bit the bullet today and did the same.  Well, almost.....I didn't go through my fabric bins as I did that about a year or so ago and I haven't bought any fabric (probably because I wasn't in Florida fabric shopping with my bud, Susan!).  I have lots of dyed/stamped papers but they are in my wet room downstairs in a bin. 

It was a perfect day to be inside with the AC on.  It's 2:30 in the afternoon and 87 degrees!  Windy as storms are approaching but too hot to be outside.  Good exercise reorganizing instead of walking! 

This is a sewing machine cover a friend/co worker made me back in the 90's!  I put it on the back of my chair when using my machine....OK, I honestly forget most times to put it on the machine but I have!!  Just not every time!







When you come into my room to the right is this table/cabinet.


This is a cutting area next to my sewing machine area/table.  I can iron on top of it (using my ironing matt) and I keep all my beads in the far right side of the cabinet.  Left side holds unique papers (e.g. tyvek, solvy, etc.) and lots of other 'stuff' that I use from time to time.  The colored drawers on the right hold threads in each drawer.





Usually there is a dog bed on top of the sewing table...yes, Kalee was hunting for it!  She and Gigi lay there while I sew looking as they can look out the window. 

The area under the table holds my folders filled with fiber cards, 8 1/2"x11" small quilts I was making as part of the Bead Project several years ago and some small 2"x3" quilted exchange pieces.  I think I participated in many groups for many years. 

If I remember correctly, the Bead Project was started by Robin Atkins.  She was a great inspiration for me to get started beading.




Yes, I have lots of quilts hung all over my sewing room.  I figure, why not!  I enjoy looking at some of the quilt challenges/groups I have been in as well as looking at some of my past work. 


I still have so many quilts in the bottom of the closet in my sewing room as well as a quilt cabinet that's in our entrance way to the living room.

That antique desk (the center right side folds down) hold lots of my books and that's a thread holder next to it on the right, where I keep most of my Isacord threads.







I keep lots of old patterns, pictures, etc. in that antique steamer trunk.   That beautiful stain glass piece in the window was made by a co-worker when I retired.  I love looking at the piece.  I'll have to take a picture and post this next week. 
 Fabrc bins are marked on that first shelf you see.  Second shelf holds some of my handmade books, stabilizers, fusible web, etc. The 3rd shelf holds some of the larger fabric pieces (over 2 yards) and the center bin holds  my hand dyed fabrics. 

My friend, Carol, gave us pfd fabric at our Aussome meeting this week (more on our meet up in the next post).  I did take some print cloth and cotton shirting for dyeing or painting.  I've been doing so much on paper, so not sure when I will get to test out the different fabric for dyeing.

The bottom/floor holds my Bernina 440 (left side) which I would take to Florida.  I haven't used it in a year or two..but it's a good backup.  I just love my 20+ yr old 1090 Bernina!!!  In the middle area I have lots of my quilts on top of a bin of quilted fabrics that I've cut apart at one time.  AND on top of the quilts/bin are some T-shirts I've cut up for Nick's graduation quilt next year!  Trying to cut them when I have time.





This is a baby dresser my daughter talked me into buying several years ago!  And we hauled this bugger home ourselves...we had to make two trips to Birch Run that day as she also picked up a cabinet or two!  HA  I really like it and I can also use it to cut fabric on - Bob cut up an old cutting board for me a few years ago.  The drawers hold my ongoing projects, some beading projects, patterns I'm looking at...just some current inspiration!







So that's my sewing area.....or I should say my girls/I sewing room!  This is Kalee resting on her dog pad on the sewing table!!!



5 comments:

  1. The tidy up continues! Kalee doesn't care for the change- put the bed back pleaaaase!! How do you have your small pieces on the walls? They look great. What a pleasant room it is. Such joy to spend time in our sewing rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour. I love seeing how other organized. I loved your idea of filling up wall space with you art. Unfortunately, since I have a picture window on one wall, a window on the other, and a wall to wall closet on the other I have little wall space. However, I do see some empty spots I need to add my art. Thanks again for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels good to clean up doesn't it? I did the same thing last Sunday. Although I was regretting my decision when I was in the middle of it and I had piles of stuff everywhere. Somehow I powered on and hope I can keep things that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour! I love seeing others sewing studios and getting inspired to organize my own.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!