Sunday, July 21, 2019
Our lesson this past week, from our MIP online group is working with screen prints using masking tape! Well, I love this module because I'm a big fan of screen printing. First up, I cut up some masking tape using my deckle rotary cutter.
Next I wanted to create more of a geometric pattern so I just cut wide masking tape as well as some triangles.
We're using thickened dyes, although, Hilary also showed us how to use acrylic paints with addition of an extender. Personally, I don't want to work with the acrylic paints because I can see me not working fast enough and my screen getting destroyed. I do have over 6 or 8 screens (due to the kindness of my pal, Mary!) but I still like using thickened dyes.
My first pull...looks tan here but I think this was a peach dye I had. Actually, it was quite old dye power, hence, the color may not be quite peach. But I still like it!
And this is the result after several pulls using blue violet/yellow/and whatever other thickened dyes I had!
This is before I washed the dye(s) out.
This was another print using the same masked screen. Different colors.
First pull....using geometric mask
Multiple pulls using yellow and robin egg blue.
Great pastel pieces but what happened to my color!
Dye all washed out....now...in thinking over what I did and didn't do...I didn't use enough dye in mixing with print paste.
Nice pastel color, right! HA
So on Saturday, I mixed up more dye/print paste and added more dye powder. I'm one of those who doesn't measure and just mixes dyes with my water or print paste. I was using little containers...probably only about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of print paste. I was quite stingy and only put in about 1/4th teaspoon of dye powder.
We'll see what my results are in my next post. Four pieces are batching right now. I kept them out in the heat (see, this summer heat is good for something!) and just brought them in around 4 in the afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.