My Favorite Books

Sunday, January 6, 2019

First lesson with Hilary!



I mentioned in my last post the online class I'm taking with Hilary Beattie from the UK.  The class is a monthly/one year study to learn a variety of surface design techniques.  I'm quite excited.  Only problem, with just arriving in Florida, I don't have all the supplies I normally bring with me! 


I had to order some paints and architecture paper, which should be here by next Friday.....But I did have some Mixed Media sheets so I just grabbed two to print on along with some cheap acrylic paints.  So guess what I did!
 








Our first lesson from Hilary was using stencils. 

This is the stencil I was going to print with but another lady in our group used it and her work was beautiful!  Figured mine wouldn't look as good so I elected to use a different stencil.







This was the geometric stencil I decided to use.  I have used This stencil gets a lot of use from me.  It worked great with h Solar Fast but the stencil is stained.  Doesn't hurt it but it looks bad!  HA

 This is a Mary Bath Shaw's stencil I purchased several years ago.












I started with a dark orange first then a yellow paint, which I added some fluid medium to.






This is the second pass....using the yellow













Next I had a pumpkin acrylic paint I mixed with the orange then I added leftover yellow and orange.



And my 2nd finished stenciled piece. 


All in all I'm quite happy with just the two pieces I did.  Looking forward to getting my Setacolor paints and other paper to print on!!  It's wonderful to see some of the work the others have done in our class.  Very inspiring!!!! 

7 comments:

  1. I see an aerial view of a city in there! This is going to be an interesting year in your class. You're already here, and off and running. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nancy, that last photo looks like aerial cityscape. You don't waste any time getting to work do you?! I look forward to seeing what you continue to do. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW…..fabulous….love the depth you achieved by layering. AND yes….Hillary has so many wonderful techniques and has generously shared them often on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of Hillary. Love your print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great stencil, and I love what you did with it! All that gold and yellow... is somebody who just came from the frozen North celebrating sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so tempted to sign up for this but didn't in the end so I am really looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also quite happy with how things turned out! LOL. Just love that yellow...….

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!