My Favorite Books

Monday, November 2, 2020

More paper collages



 Hilary's online class is working with some techniques we've "played" with in our past lessons, which is always fun to do.  It was soy wax time last week but I decided instead to play around with paper collages.  This is a weak area for me to create collage work from inspiration I get from pictures. 

It so happened my DIL, Kris, took some great pictures a few weeks ago from their back patio area.  I was really taken by some of her photo's so thought I would give it a go and try to make a paper collage!



I played around with different papers, although the colors are quite muted in this piece.  And my results...keep in mind, it's not suppose to look like the photo.  Thank goodness, because that won't happen with me!  HA

I didn't like the green strip so I removed it in the next photo.


I was happy with this piece.








I was talking with a friend of a friend in Florida who does beautiful photography about a picture he had posted.  I just love this picture!!  Again, it's not to replicate a picture - which I couldn't do with this great shot!!  The color and landscape Bill captured is just fantastic in this picture!




I was given permission to use his photo to create a collage from.  

We are basically using shapes and color, except I didn't have the right colors to use in my piece.  










So, next up, we've been working at adding silhouettes to our collage work.  Well, I thought originally at using Bill's original picture above and cutting out a stencil of the tree.  Well, it was too fussy to cut out and he sent this to use as a stencil!  How great is this!

I printed out the picture onto a piece of transparency film so I could overlay on fabric or paper.  








Here are the paper collages above with the addition of the stencil!

This is just the overlay transparency film...I've ordered thermofax screens of the crow stencil so I'll screen print on the collage then I can extend some of the tree bark and limbs with paint.







The stencil makes a big difference on this piece doesn't it!  Well, it would if I had laid the stencil on straight!  

Can't wait to start some screen printing!  A huge thanks to Bill for the use of his wonderful photography!






4 comments:

  1. You really captured the feel of the photos. And the stencil is really fantastic! You gave me a good reminder about your large attics and basements for storing all those Halloween decorations- I had truly forgotten! Storage in Florida is really a challenge without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the collage and the addition of the birds is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pieces are striking! I especially love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!