My Favorite Books

Thursday, October 15, 2020

12"x12" Challenge

 Five of us who have previously participated in a 12"x12" exchange did it again this year!  It is so much fun to receive these little quilts and see the different techniques and styles of each person.  I'll be posting the ones I received when I have all of them..our mail out date was just this week.  Until then...here are the ones I finished.  I wasn't sure who received which one as I put them in envelopes and then put on the labels!!  I couldn't decide which to send to whom!  HA  These really are 12" square!!!  I need to learn how to photograph my work don't I!





This was my first sample/test 12"x12" quilt.  I kept this for myself as I had other ideas/colorways after I did this one! 




The leaf print is one that I made last summer using a stencil I made of leaves and stamping with thickened Procion dyes.  Only problem I didn't have much of this print...but I did have two small pieces in different colors.




This was the 2nd one I made using the yellow border, which I like so much better than just the green binding in the first one.  

I used Aurifil Lana threads to embroider the leaves and free motion quilted around the leaves.




I actually had to buy some commercial fabric, the blue center fabric, as I didn't have any color fabric to match!  Go figure, right!

I haven't been in a quilt shop in over two years since my quilting bud, Susan and I went while we were in Florida!

And the last one!  I enjoyed working on these, with the exception of the last few weeks trying to embroider with stitches in my thumb!  Yikes!  Even when the stitches were taken out, it's still tender but nothing a band-aid and a rubber finger couldn't fix somewhat! 


Next post should have the four I receive!  Love getting them in the mail!

4 comments:

  1. What a great use of your own designs! I like how you extended the leaf shape into the border. Look forward to seeing swap pieces you receive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your 12 x 12's, very successful compositions. I must have another try with thickened dyes!1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great to see what else you did. They are all wonderful and such beautiful colors. I can’t believe you did the embroidery work with a sore thumb! You get an award for that. Now I’m curious about thickened dyes. I will treasure mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them and love the size...you can always find a place for a beautiful and smaller piece of art...also like the wide yellow border the best!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!