My Favorite Books

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Breakdown Printing

"What?"  Breakdown Printing...I have only heard the term 'deconstructed screen printing' until Hilary's MIP class.  Guess it is called both as the process is the same.  This was our lesson this past week.  And ya all know I love deconstructed, I mean, breakdown printing!  I look forward to the unique results you get from this process.  My screens are still a tad wet as our warm weather and sun are now gone.  The sun was at when I first placed the screens outside...within 30 minutes, clouds rolled in....hence, they are sitting in my dye room. 


I've left the cup holders, etc. on the screens until they dry.  Some will fall off or I'll take them off depends on my mood.

I



Yes, I do drink quite a bit of Starbuck's coffee!  My family and friends know I love a Starbuck gift card!






This is a really large screen my friend, Mary, gave me a few years ago.  It's actually the first time I've used it.  I am hoping I can pull two or three prints from it.  But....I noticed some of my thickened dyes were quite runny...yes, I still used them and some I added more print paste.  Not sure how they'll turn out but it's always a surprise regardless!




Well, isn't this an eye catcher!  NOT!!  I forgot to take a picture when I removed the little white pieces!  They are title samples that I placed onto the screen!  They'll be little squares all over. 




I used some of my previous stamped/dyed papers to blot up excess dye from the screens.  I love the ovals on the bottom pieces...and the bubble wrap looks like it might work well as a tree for my beaded woodpecker!  Who knows...as I said..you never know what you'll get.



I hope to print this weekend sometime. I have my fabric already soaked in soda ash just waiting for the screens to dry! 

4 comments:

  1. I love that oval shape mask on these. All very interesting prints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I too love deconstructed screen printing…..love the ideas you shared for resists…..come on now…..get printing. I can’t wait to see all the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been awhile since I've done this. Looking forward to seeing your prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those ovals a stencil? I love them! I just bought a great book from a gal in England. She has a great Facebook page her name is Leah Higgens and the book is Breakdown Your Pallet. Very Comprehensive and her technique is somewhat different. Awesome results though. Yours are great. I have a nice chunk of that same construction fence. I think that and sequin waste are my two favorite printing masks. You are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!