My Favorite Books

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Composition and Design

Our lesson last week in Hilary's MIP online was on drawing/composition/design...ya all know I'm not big on drawing so I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to this lesson.  But with all our other lessons, I'm once again, very pleased with how Hilary approached this area.  Drawing was at a minimum and her method was one that i didn't feel intimidated by. 








Hilary suggested we look at different shapes that we'd like to work with.  I happened to have a feather drawing, which I've always liked.  So that was the first drawing I did. 








 I'm not showing how Hilary 'taught' or suggested we follow to make our drawings (you have to take her class!). 

Next up, she showed us how to use jars/glass work.  So I found some pictures on Google and used those as my inspiration. 











Once we had our drawing, then we got to color them in! What fun!!!  I used  Derwent Pastels.....

















Then I used water on my brush to obtain the color(s).



















I had to play around with some more pieces and coloring!  Just because it's so much fun! 












Next, I used Gelatos, which I love using!  They work so much better, for me at least, than the oil pastels we've all used in the past.



Lastly, Hilary told us "to play with our papers" and that's what I did..  These are some of my painted/dyed/stamped papers.  I put these in my Shape/color journal (8 1/2" x 11").  I'm quite happy with how this page turned out. 


So I know my 'art work' isn't the best but it's a great exercise in design and composition.  We'll leave the drawing part out of this one!  I am going to play around with this some more - in my spare time! 

Oh, here's a shot of my work area...BEFORE...it was a real mess with papers, crayons, etc. 


AFTER....all cleaned up (AGAIN!)...and ready to go!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting exercises. Your sketchbook is filling up fast. Fun to sit a leaf through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie I’m blown away by your success…clearly you’ve embraced Hilary’s lessons with very positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those classes look and sound like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!