I guess it's always busy when you are retired! Right! Seems like I'm always going somewhere every day! But in between lunches, meeting with friends, I have been sewing!
I wanted to play more with thread painting that I showed last week (you can see that here). I ended up using this piece as a practice piece for painting the thread work (no, I don't like the green either!) and to decide what thread for quilting the background fabric.
I also started to design some different patterns to add to my deconstructed screen print fabric I want to use. I just didn't like the one strip on the piece above. I still had some of the purple/maroon fabric leftover from the quilt top I made a few weeks ago so I cut 1 1/2" stripes into different lengths (2 1/2", 3", 5" etc.). Then I sewed them together in long strips. Then I traced my leaf design onto the screen printed panel and free motion quilted the leaves.
Since I didn't like the green paint I dug in my paint box and came up with some of these samples!
Yes, I cut up the quilt practice piece!
Yep, I played quite a bit! But what worked the best was my Neocolor ii crayons! Who knew!
Once I colored the thread painted leaf, then I took a brush with water and blended the crayon. Then I free motion quilted the rest of the piece.
End result with the inserts...
And now with the binding added. I'm happy with how this turned out...but now I'm on to a new project or two!