My Favorite Books

Thursday, June 15, 2017

It's been a busy week....

I guess it's always busy when you are retired! Right!  Seems like I'm always going somewhere every day!  But in between lunches, meeting with friends, I have been sewing!

I wanted to play more with thread painting that I showed last week (you can see that here).   I ended up using this piece as a practice piece for painting the thread work (no, I don't like the green either!) and to decide what thread for quilting the background fabric.

I  also started to design some different patterns to add to my deconstructed screen print fabric I want to use.  I just didn't like the one strip on the piece above.  I still had some of the purple/maroon fabric leftover from the quilt top I made a few weeks ago so I cut 1 1/2" stripes into different lengths (2 1/2", 3", 5" etc.).  Then I sewed them together in long strips.  Then I traced my leaf design onto the screen printed panel  and free motion quilted the leaves.

Since I didn't like the green paint I dug in my paint box and came up with some of these samples!




Yes, I cut up the quilt practice piece!




  Yep, I played quite a bit!  But what worked the best was my Neocolor ii crayons!  Who knew!














Once I colored the thread painted leaf, then I took a brush with water and blended the crayon.  Then I free motion quilted the rest of the piece.


End result with the inserts...

And now with the binding added.  I'm happy with how this turned out...but now I'm on to a new project or two!

4 comments:

  1. The finished piece was definitely worth all your experiments/efforts…….personally I’m a sucker for fresh, clean designs….this is a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experimenting paid off....I love what you've done...really a nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color is lovely, and I would not have thought Neo-Color II's would give those results. Very nice! You are always so brave when it comes to slicing, coloring, changing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "before and after" are as dramatic as night and day. I love the finished piece. Amazing how much fun you have with your FEARLESS coloring, cutting and sewing! Creative Exploration Bliss...<3

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!