My Favorite Books

Friday, February 18, 2011

Georgia on my mind


Another beautiful 75+ degree weather today! I took our little parakeet in for a beak trim. Not sure what's up with him but he just had a trim on Jan. 4th and needed another one already. I used to trim our birds but it's a lot easier to have someone else do it! 'NoName' is 19 years old and still kicking! After making a stop at the library and grocery store on my way home, I hurried in to my sewing room to get to work on Susan's Reverse Applique method! I'm using her technique to create my piece for the Inspired by the Master's exhibit back in Michigan.

The picture on the left is the actual stained glass piece that I'm using as my inspiration. This stain glass was beautifully created by Valerie Keenan and she has kindly allowed me to use her piece and recreate it in fabric. My finished piece will be 16" x 20" and Valerie's piece is 22" x 32".

These are the fabrics/colors I'm using. I do plan on doing some pencil or paint to add depth or the color where needed, but I'm happy with the fabric selection (finally).
Susan's reverse applique method is a little complicated but worth the work! This method will allow 'leading' to sit on top of your fabric vs behind your work.

This is the BACK of my piece above. I've traced all the lines so I can see where I need to stitch (pay attention now!) my leading.
Not sure why this turned out yellow...but my layers are all basted and now I'm almost finished stitching all the lines so I can see them on the 'front/leading'. I fyou click on the picture you can see my red lines and stitching.
Here's my piece all ready for me to start cutting away and stitching!!! If you click on the picture, you can see the pattern. The lines are the center of where the leading will be reversed appliqued. My fabric is actually black with blue highlights but the camera has picked up on the blue.
I'm really excited about working on this piece. I can't thank Susan enough for guiding me through this process! Susan's work and workmanship is amazing so I hope to pick up some good pointers from her. THANK YOU AGAIN, SUSAN!

Just a side note..Bob just called me outside to see the Space Station going overhead. We've actually got out of bed at 3 a.m. to watch it back home! Nice that it's only 7:25 p.m. for a change!

3 comments:

  1. wow, robbie! i could never do what you are doing with that quilt. it's going to be gorgeous, and your time and effort will be well worthwhile. can't wait to see the progress and finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie! This is amazing! I love the colors you're using. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are beautiful. This is going to be a wonderful project. No-Name's beak... if he's been drinking the local water, it's full of lime which is good for horses' hoofs, and fingernails. Might that be what's causing this? Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!