My Favorite Books

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Yep, online class is still going strong!


 I've been quiet with the online MIP class with Hilary B lately.  It's not like we aren't doing anything!!!  Class is still on with two videos each Monday!  I'm trying to play catch-up on the videos from the past few weeks.  Sometimes that happens but it's nice that we can watch each lesson when and where we want.  And you can work or not work on a particular lesson!  That's also what's great about any online class!

This module, we're working with all those papers we've made over the last year.  Now for my blog readers who have asked me what I'm going to do with all of those papers, we'll each find out!  Even me!  HA  Although I have created several cards, embroidered books (2), squash books (2) and a few small quiltlets!  So I have used some of my papers!

These (left pic)  are some papers that need more work...perhaps, stamping, stenciling, over dyeing...just something to enhance them to use as a background or a feature.




We had to 'sort' our papers (not fabric yet - although I don't have as much fabric as I do papers!).  Our first sort was by 'feature' or 'background' piles!

Feature is just that!  Something that stands on it's own (my description!  HA) or a whole piece you can stitch.  Or sections you'd use that your eye would be draw to first on your work.  Again, my description! 
Backgrounds are just that...something you can use to display your 'feature' pieces with or use in abstract work.
These are some of my browns/yellow...doesn't look like a lot but I really have a lot of papers in each color section!!!





These are some of my feature papers.  I've used several of these already in pieces.  Again, I have quite a few!



I know these groups don't look like many pieces of papers...but trust me!  Each group is loaded with papers!!!  I have groups of backgrounds in blues, greens, yellow, browns, purples, red, etc.!!!!




Some greens for background use...although I did find some 'feature' pieces that could stand on their own!


These are some baggies that I already had sorted by color.  They are just snips and small squares of papers.
Next was sorting by color, values....whew!  This took me a few hours to get my groups of papers in order.  I kept changing my mind!  No surprise there, right!





Next lesson was to create an abstract piece using our papers.  I didn't want to do this on a large piece of paper so I got out my octopus book (you can see pages I started back in the fall  here.  Not sure if it's easier or harder working smaller!  But I did enjoy working on this one piece.  Just my start and some of my 'trying' things out!






This was fun playing with little strips and bits!!!







Finally, I settled on this for my finished abstract.  I'm happy with it!  I hope to work in blue or greens for my next piece. 














You can see the piece in my Octopus journal!  It's only around 8.5" x 6" or close to that with 3 or 4 pages in each section.  I love this journal and they didn't have anymore when I checked on Amazon.  Might have to check again.   


I hope to make a few more  abstract pieces.  I have a journal book that is a a tad larger I started to keep for some of my designs so I might even put some in that book.  Who knows!  I might be too busy watching the videos for this week's lesson!!

3 comments:

  1. You’ve wowed me again……..you have a masterful eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do with them next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so satisfying, using your papers in collages and journals. With more to come! Just sorting them is fun.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!