My Favorite Books

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Flights of Fantasy

Our reveal for the Flights of Fantasy online challenge is today! Having raised birds (Cockatiels) I knew my Flights of Fantasy piece would have a bird in it!  And I've been wanting to work in bright colors of late.  I found in my stash this bright pink cotton velvet that I dyed several, several years ago!  I think it was the perfect background for my green bird!



I enjoyed creating my green bird....actually, the bird started out as a lighter lime green BUT....I  drew the circle of the eye  with a Micro pen.  All was good except I had to 'unsew' one area of the wing (I wasn't happy with the direction I had quilted) and after removing the threads I sprayed some water on the wing to help close the needle holes that remained.  Guess what!  Some water got on the eye and the black ink RAN!!  UGH...so, I got out some Setacolor paint and painted my bird!  He's a little darker than the original fabric but turned out ok!






This is a closeup of some of the quilting.  I used orange, lime green and a variegated thread to fill in the wings and tail feathers.  This was a fun piece to create.

Our next challenge is 'Structures'...I have an idea making use of a piece I started a  year or two ago!  Looking forward to starting on it!!

I hope you check out the online blog for all the other quilts that are being shown today!  They are wonderful!!!  











3 comments:

Createology said...

Wow! This is a riot of color and so beautiful. Your attention to detail is amazing. "Flights of Fantasy" is truly aptly named. Congratulations Dear...

The Inside Stori said...

Robbie......what a fabulous piece....your machine quilting makes me pea green!!

Liz E said...

Zing! Love the color choice. I think the green turned out perfectly. I also love the way you quilted the tail feathers. An ultimately uplifting and cheerful piece to brighten any winter day!!!