My Favorite Books

Monday, January 9, 2023

I'm making a grandma quilt???

 

Back in year 2000, I pieced this quilt using only scrap fabric I had on hand.  Some of the fabric was from a quilting class I took in Holly when you could only find beige or blue fabric(s)!  HA  That was in the 80's!






This bugger is huge!  We have a California King and the bottom panel is the same on all four edges, so it hangs over quite a bit on each side!  What was I thinking!  




 Hard to see my hand quilting...tiny stitches but I'm sure they were not consistent!

And, this backing, which was an old sheet!, was tea dyed!  This was before I started to get into dying my own fabrics.  The color is pink in some areas and tea color in others!






Here are some of the blocks....I don't remember the names of each block...and I'm not sure if the pattern was a class or ????  I'm thinking that it was taught by Beth Ferrier who has written several books and was teaching at Davison Fabrics at that time.  I did send a FB message to see if she remembers the pattern.



I'm sure you recognize quite a few of these fabrics from the 80's!



We didn't have a lot of choices back then (80's) but we made up for it by shopping at all the quilt shops that were available in the late 90's and in year 2000!


I made my daughter a dress ?? for her graduation in '84 and I remember using small pieces leftover from that dress in this quilt.  I'll have to search for a picture of her graduation and where the fabric is in this quilt.


The applique was machine sewn using the invisible stitch and invisible thread.




This was the center, obviously...lots of mistakes in the piecing I'm sure!  









So this is when I decided to start to machine quilt!  OMG....talk about a heavy quilt!  Baby quilts are easy for me and most of the time, I'll quilt panels using the 'quilt-as-you-go' method.  UGH...my hands and arms were killing me!




I got smart and rolled the quilt as it was laying on top of our bed.  I did a good job of folding it really nice and wow!  So much easier to free motion...yes, I am free motion quilting and, trust me, the quilting is not up to par!  I'm not a beginner FMQ'er but some of my stitches sure look like it on this quilt.  But I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with it....maybe one of the kids will want it so they can say...look at a quilt my grandma made...looks just like her!














1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Don't we all have at least one of that type of quilt. I didn't really start quilting until the mid to late 90's. Unfortunately there was still a lot of this type fabric sitting around in my local quilt shop! You will most definitely be sore after that! I won't do anything bigger than a twin and I am never doing another t-shirt quilt on my domestic either. I quilt everything else by check! Last one I did myself just about broke my neck! Good thing my chiro is a miracle worker. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!