My Favorite Books

Friday, January 20, 2023

Dye Dog 2 Project


Back in 2018 while in Florida, my quilting bud, Kay, who most of you know as Kay Sorensen from
Quilts+Color, gifted another artist and I with pieces of her 'dye dog' fabrics.  Kay considers some of her shibori/over dyed fabrics as 'dye dogs'...pieces she just isn't that happy with!  Heck, anyone would be happy to have her dye dogs!  So, Beth Sherman and I were given the task of making a small quilt with some of Kay's 'dye dog' fabric.  

Also, I was fortunate to receive a piece of Kay's art work.  It's the positive and negative Kay quilted and put into a dual frame!  This sits in my sewing room so I see it often!  One of my prized possestions!


Here is the process for the completion on my dye dog!













And both of our 'dye dog' quilts!



Beth did a beautiful job utilizing Kay's dye dog as well as the addition of the flowers! 

Here is the reveal of Beth's and my 'dye dog' pieces.  I love what Beth did with her 'dye dog'!!!!  For her flowers, Beth used fabric that was dyed with bleeding tissue paper!   So delicate but so effective along with the other shibori fabrics from Kay.








So, Kay is back in Wisconsin (yes, a true Packer Fan!) and thought it would be fun to gift Beth and I another 'dye dog' fabric challenge!!  We are both up to the task!!!!  And, yes, my head is spinning with ideas!!!  Here are the 3 pieces of fabric I'm starting with!

The don't look like a 'dye dog' do they!!!




How pretty...and my camera doesn't do the color any justice!



I love Kay's shibori!  You have to check out her blog or better yet, just click on this link!  You'll see tons of Kay's shibori/overdyed fabrics.  They are beautiful and how she incorporates her fabric into beautiful quilts is just as amazing!



I love the colors in the fabric!  I know I'll have SO much fun!!!  Or a real challenge...probably challenge but it does get the old brain starting to get back into designing and quilting.  I'm afraid I've been lax with my quilting and allowing knitting to take over!  Now, back to the drawing board!




2 comments:

  1. Dye dogs never looked so good! You both did a fine job with your challenge. And now another one- I like these three. Such interesting texture. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I’m excited about this new challenge! My dye dogs have not made it to Florida but after seeing these my creative mind is gearing up with possibles.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!