My Favorite Books

Sunday, September 18, 2022

What we're doing on the rest of our summer vacation!

 


Yep, this is what Bob and I are working on (again)...guess I shouldn't say "again"...it has been five years and for the most part the painting has held up fairly well.  
Of course, it always seems like we are doing this work in the hottest day(s) of the year.  Bob measured the temperature on the deck and it was 114 on the top of the rails and 118 on the deck floor!!!  TOOOOOO hot to paint!



Bob repaired quite a lot of the wood in areas awhile back....this year, he's been working on the three King Posts we have.






The wood was rotting pretty bad back in 2017 so Bob totally repaired the tops of the posts.



And he really did a great job.  But this year the base of all three posts were rotting out.  The cedar held up pretty good since 1996!


So my hubby finished rebuilding the base of each post!  I forgot to take pictures before he repaired them..dang.

I wasn't happy that he had to climb up the ladder to do the repairs on the outside but I guess you can only nag them for so long....and they're going to do what they want to do anyway!




This was actually a picture from 2017 when he was painting the bottom wood he replaced.  So now I have to repaint the deck.  












I did get the two king posts along with the rest of the beige painted on the north side of the deck.


And finished the 3rd king post and this area..Bob will power wash the deck and do the 'roller paint thing' on the deck floor, when I'm finished.


Do you see all those white spindles???  Well, I get to paint those too!!!!  Although, I can sit for the most part (until I need to paint the opposite side!  HA).  I'm not sure how many spindles there are but there are alot!  







So that's what I'll be doing in the coming weeks..although, probably not until Wed. or Friday, this week, depending on the weather.  I did tell Bob I'm only painting when it's below 75-78!  Which it will be on Friday - mid to high 60's!  But sunny...my kind of weather!   I am also having a root canal done on Monday and some scans on Tuesday...
Only problem, I may be painting into October!  Fine with me!  At least it won't be hot, hot!  I hope!

3 comments:

  1. I remember when you did it 5 years ago. Years ago, I power washed and stained our house.....on a tall ladder a couple stories up..... I didn't even consider that I couldn't do it.... plus I was working part time.....ahhh youth. I like the style and color of your decks..... get a good audible book !! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that's a lot of work in the heat! And yikes.... the ladder. Yes, a recorded book will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will be a lot of painting, but the deck will look so nice once it is done! You could be like me and be ripping down the deck. I haven't heard back from the fellow that is going to rebuild mine.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!