My Favorite Books

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Soy Wax - Part 2

This weekend I played with soy wax and screen printing...based on our lessons with Hilary's online MIP class!  What fun!!!  And you can keep the screens for future use.  Wax is easily removed from paper, fabric and the screens!  I've always had a problem working with regular wax so shied away from even trying to use the wax.  But I am hooked now with soy wax!!! 





This is fabric that I applied soy wax with a brush.  After the wax cooled, I scrunched the piece up in a ball.  I laid the piece flat and painted over with lime green dye and some misty gray dye.  Fabric was batched over night.   You can see some of the misty gray dye (easier to see in person). Turned out pretty cool!


All the remaining pieces were done on layout paper.

All of the remaining pieces show the wax screen print on the left and on the right after I applied fiber reactive dye.


I goofed and put the wax on the wrong side of the screen so (which were the little bulbs you see!)  then I added wax in stripes with the paint brush. 



I like both these blue pieces.  I'm sure they'll work well for a background or piecing.  I also kept this screen for future use.  I love the stripes in  the pattern.



These look like the same print but they are two different prints and using a gold/yellow/orange dye on top really brought out the pattern from the wax.  I ended up liking these pieces!



Yes, a boring piece.  But the pic on the left was one I used to 'mop' up with.  I was just trying to blend the dyes on the right side.




I didn't keep this wax screen.  Nothing exciting about it but I'm sure the paper can be used somewhere.



I kept this wax screen.  I really love the print I got with it. 



This paper is really very cool in person.  I'm thinking of using it with my other beaded bird as a patchwork background.
These are papers I used to mop up the check board type prints above!  Didn't they turn out cool!!!  I'm not over dyeing them as I like the little bit of white that shows through. I really had lots of fun playing with soy wax and will use my screens again!!!  Soon!!

Today, we're suppose to head to my daughter's for a BD breakfast!!  We had several inches of snow on Saturday, then high temp (36+), melting, then massive drop in temp so of course the roads will freeze!  Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Such fun! I'm really partial to the deep greens you achieved.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!