My Favorite Books

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Screen printing with masks and paints!

Yep..we are screen printing with 'paints' rather than thickened dyes this lesson in our MIP online class with Hilary!  I wasn't so keen on this and had a few issues with my masks but I did 'hang in there' and I'm actually fairly happy with my results.  I love any geometric designs and I think these will be great to work with!!   Year 'two' of our MIP class will work with design.  Woot woot!

My mask went by the wayside so I can't show what I used but I'm sure you get the idea of what I was trying to print.  Left side pics show the screen print and the right side is after over dyeing with fiber reactive dyes.





Not very pretty at all!!!  Not sure what the dark blob was all about!  Think I was frustrated by this point.  HA




Actually, this one and the one above turned out pretty good after over dyeing. 

















This was the mask I used for printing the following pieces.  I used the positive and negative masks from this drawing.















I like the colors in most of these



this was the only piece of fabric I printed.  It's at least 35" inches long but only about 18" wide.  I'm not sure what kind of fabric...probably bleached muslin...rough feel to the fabric before painting and it had some stamping in the middle...don't remember when I did that...years ago I'm sure!  HA

All in all this was an interesting lesson!  I think I prefer using thickened dyes for screen printing but you never know when I just might need to use paints instead!  At least now I'll know how the paint reacts and how I react to screen printing with paint!



2 comments:

  1. This is all so inspiring…..I esp. love the overlapping squares….keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blob- eeek- where do those things come from. I really like those concentric squares! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!