My Favorite Books

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Fall Happenings

It's that age old statement "I can't believe it's fall already"!  I know I say it every year too.  Bob and I enjoy watching our hummingbirds feed each day so when fall gets here we are sad when they leave.  We have the feeders set up so we can see them while watching the news in the a.m. and at night.  

Well, our hummers are finally gone!  Boo hoo!   We last saw them Sunday p.m.  Actually, two were eating most of the day.   We always worry about their huge travel they have to make!  This is an explanation on their travel I found on Google (where else!):

Each year, thousands of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds fly over the open water of the Gulf of Mexico rather than follow the longer shoreline route. These brave little birds will fly non-stop up to 500 miles to reach U.S. shores. It takes approximately 18-22 hours to complete this amazing solitary flight.
 Got to give those little birds so much credit!   But with the hummingbirds leaving we also have the leaves falling!  Yep, another sad time of the fall!  One of our favorite fall jobs!  NOT!!  But Bob has a new leaf blower so we're hoping that will make this job a tad quicker.
  




I just  had to pick up some of the more colorful leaves on the ground.  I haven't a clue what, if anything, I'll do with these leaves but had to save them.  




And on another side note...I've been a blog reader, as well as FB bud, to Janice Paine Dawes an artist who does so many sewing/dyeing/art techniques, you have to go to her blog and/or web site to see for yourself.  Janice mentioned on a FB post a few weeks ago that her father, who is now living with her and hubby, turns 95 on October 15.  She wanted to have as many BD cards sent to her father so I thought I'd make a fiber card for him.  I'm mailing a regular card just in case this doesn't make it to him!  HA.  In all the years I've made fiber cards, I've only had one not make it!!  That's pretty good for all of the fiber cards I've sent out...but you never know!  


I found a free coloring page that I printed out onto fabric and then used fabric paints to color it!  Then it was sandwiched and quilted.  





I use I like to use Sulky Totally Stable for my label.    I either paint with some diluted Setacolor paint or I'll use oil pastel chalk (not crayons) and wipe with water to just color the Sulky. You can see the paper has been painted with blue chalk pastel.  Then  I iron lightly onto printer paper and feed in my HP printer for printing out a label.    You peel slowly then iron onto the back of your fiber card.  A little edging and your cards ready to mail! 
I'm not sure why I only took a picture of the left side of the address card!  If you're so inclined to send Mr. Paine a BD card here is his address!:

Mr. Alvie Paine
287 Marquis Drive
Mountain Home, AR 72653

I hope Mr. Paine likes his card and I'm sure he'll enjoy getting all the cards from different states too!  

2 comments:

  1. That’s just the sweetest gesture Robbie….thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope Mr. Paine gets a lot of cards. If it's been on FB, he probably will. Love the card you made. My Hummers are gone too. We don't really have any colored leaves yet except the Sumac and a few Maples are starting to turn. My fish are slowing down but still eating strong but I suspect that will stop soon with the cooler temps moving in. Pretty soon you'll be PACKING!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!