When I was at our local quilt shop showing my completed hexagon quilt, one of the lady's was telling me about Tula Pink's YouTubes. I used Tula Pink's fabric for the binding on my quilt but what I didn't know was Tula is a super star regarding EPP (English paper pieces for those who don't know).
Off I went to check out what she had as far as education on paper piecing! Here is a link to her youtubes and they are very informative! I was most impressed with her video on 'tools' and the needle she uses for paper piecing.They are called Tulip 6 Pack Size 10 Big Eye Applique Needle Hiroshima Needles! It's a mouthful but they are terrific!!! The whole idea of the 'big eye' is not a larger eye but more elongated eye, which makes for easier threading. I'm even using this needle for my beading project! It's sturdy but small enough to go through both 11 & 15 seed beads!
Of course, I played around with sewing together two hex pieces! Wow...it really is very nice to sew with and easier to thread. Not perfect but easier than my Milliners!
AND Tula has some great tips for sewing hex pieces and other tools. Yes, I bought the Minis - 5 Pack magnets! They're for holding those small hex pieces while you sew them together! Is it a necessary item, no, but they work!!!
And she shows how to sew your hex pieces together sewing 'away' from you vs 'sewing towards' yourself. OMG..this is a game changer for those of us with arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc! For hand sewers, beaders, check out her youtubes! Links above in dark blue.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!