My Favorite Books

Monday, October 25, 2021

Update on projects!

Well, library book sale is now over and we were pretty successful!  We are a very small town with a population of 1849 (as of 2019) our next largest town is Davison which has a population of 4937!  HA  Now we're working on cleaning out older books as well as those books that could be torn or musty, etc.  Actually, we had so many donation books we didn't even take boxes from our shelves where we store books for each book sale.  Next, we'll go through all of those books for 'cleaning out'.  We're lucky to have four new volunteers this year that are really good workers!  Sure helps! 

So, I finished my little winter hat which is mindless knitting....







And now I'm working on practice knitting the lace pattern for the top I previously posted about.  I still need to get different size circular needles but thought I might as well see what the pattern will look like in the yarn I chose.  Really, my friend suggested this color yarn and I'm glad she did.  I do like it!
Long story...Bob wanted a new 'inbetween' comforter' (we have a lightweight for summer, then fall, then snowtime/winter!)...so off shopping we went.  But what to do with this old one...can't give it as a donation since the down feathers are separated and areas are just like a sheet!  
I thought, why not cut it apart and make little comforter beds to place in dogs crates.  I already have these soft beds so they don't lay on the crate floor but thought these sections would make their beds more comfy!  What was I thinking!


You can see above where I had to squeeze the comforter under my machine to I could stitch before I cut apart a total of 4 sections (two for each bed).   First time, I had feathers all over, after just cutting about a 3" section.  I finally did a double straight stitch then an over edge stitch.  Still ended up with feathers on my top and pants but.....almost 3 hours later!!!!!  Yes, it took me three hours!  I started at 11:50 and ended at 2:45!  that did include vacuuming the floor and me!



I've always had pillow cases over the dog beds in their crates, so I can wash weekly (just like our sheets!  HA).  So I placed the two sewn sections on top of each bed and replaced the pillow cases!  TaDa!  Both dogs jumped in last night while we were taking our baths.  Normally, they come in the bathroom but last night they stayed in their beds.  I didn't take a picture of them enjoying their puffy beds...trust me...they are happy!  And it's a good thing!





And I have my disperse dye blocks up on my design  board.  This gives me a chance to play around with the design and layout of the blocks. 






I've already sewn some of the blocks together.  But this project will just be ongoing when I am bored with a current project!  

I know the blocks appear very pale but that's ok.  I have other ideas on what's going on top of this piece!  And, actually, who knows how this will end up!  Isn't that the fun part of working on a design?  



4 comments:

  1. Feather beds for your pups - how luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy dogs, despite the mess! I like your yarn bowl and knitting projects. Oh my the book sale- I'm picturing dust and sneezing. But still it's good to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes……the comforter redo was ambitious and so darn smart of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to picture the feathers flying all over! I'm sure your dogs love you for their new fluffy beds.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!