My Favorite Books

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Layer 1 - I think!

I've been anxious to play with the Wood Icing I purchased in Florida and finally did so this weekend.  I've followed the work of Mary Beth Shaw and even purchased her book, Flavor For Mixed Media, about two years ago!  But its been sitting on my work table just waiting for a play day!  So I played yesterday! 
This is wood icing, which is quite like modeling paste...now I don't use modeling paste but I think this is similar!  It dries pretty quick ,so make sure to clean up your utensils without delay.
I started out with a canvas board, which I didn't prep...just used as is. 
Next, I spread some of the wood icing over several different stencils.  Actually, the ones I used I had purchased quite a few years ago from Mary on her Stencil Girl web site. 

The circles I made using some cut outs from a junk store!  go figure!  My friends know I don't throw anything out!!  And I'll buy junk as well!  
So here is the canvas all covered with the Wood Icing product.  I did let it dry over night and this a.m. I got out the acrylic paints. 










So this is my first layer painted!  I have more layers and painting to do on this.  No, I don't know what I'm going to do with the piece when it's finished.  At this point in my life, it's more about playing and doing things I want to do rather than what I have to do.  So, if I just want to play and not have a reason for why or what I'm playing with...so be it!  I'm just having fun!! 
Tomorrow I hope to upload some pics of two pieces I sandwiched and started some quilting on (one of them at least!).  It's an old, small quilt top that I've had for quite sometime...more on that later.

1 comment:

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!