My Favorite Books

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Red Rock Threads really rock!

I've been wanting to try Aurifil threads for quite sometime now but I haven't had much luck finding the 28 wt. When Carol and I took a class this past fall in Ann Arbor, I called a quilt shop there who sold Aurifil but not the 28 wt. No shop in our area back home sell 28wt either. So I was reading Dijanne's blog the other day and saw some of the threads she purchased in the 28wt and decided I'd search online. I hit upon a great thread site 3 days ago (keep 3 days in mind) and placed an order..and look above as to what I received in the mail today! In 3 days from Nevada! I'm totally impressed with Red Rock Threads web site! Plus, they have a flat rate of $4 for shipping! I'll definitely be looking to this site for other threads and sewing items! Thanks for the quick service, Red Rock Threads...you do rock!

Earlier today I made a stop at Ocala's best bead shop, The Bead Strand, and of course had to come home with some new beads for my February BJP project. Here are my purchases for today. It's such a beautiful day out today I'm taking my new 'finds' and beading!


Yesterday Carol came over (after we made a run to Panera's for a quick sandwich and coffee!) and we played with stamping and embossing. Actually, we did make a stop at Michael's and I picked up two new stamps.

This is the piece Carol played with embossing. The circles are one of the new stamps I picked up and the funky girl in the middle with wings and a button belly is the other stamp I bought. Carol had a really cool embossing powder which was more on the silver side. Really nice. A little hard to see but the art nouveau type stamp above the head of our funky lady was stamped with Opalite Archival stamp in Winter Rust. We also stamped with Glacier Blue but it didn't show up as well.


I took one of my zentangle hearts and played with some embossing...I didn't bring all my embossing powders so I had to go with four metallic type powders I had together. Not the best color but fun to play with. This heart is one that I printed on to my February BJP that I'm now beading.
Carol started to play with her new embossing tool she bought that makes flowers. check out her flower she cut and shaded with some watercolor pencils and chalk pastels. The circle pieces are some shrinky dink that we played with too.
All in all we had a fun afternoon playing with some of Carol's tools and mine. Play days like this are a great inspiration! Go find a friend and play!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check the thread link; around hee, the places that offer real quality thread are disappearing fast. Tired of sulky, which works sometimes and sometimes not. (I suspect how long it's been rolled on the spool has something to do with it....)
    And I have been ironing foil plastic bags--like chips come in?--between a teflon sheet, to try painting with liquid acrylics to see if I can collage or sew them!
    This is a creative time all around, eh??? :D

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on the thread company. I agree it's hard to find good thread since the local quilt shops tend to carry just one brand. It looks like you've been very busy and having fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!