My Favorite Books

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Sewing again!




I'm back to my spring cleaning...something I do when we return from Florida.  Started in my sewing room!  Of course, right!  I  keep thinking I don't have that much fabric until I clean the shelves in my sewing room!  Holy heck!  I need to start stamping/dyeing/printing on the fabric I have instead of buying white fabric to play with!




Anyway, that room is done and now to start on the next room...which one will I do!  Just depends on my mood for that day!  HA




Until I start the next room, I have had a chance to sew!  Laura Kemshall (DesignMattersTV) has a video on making a Travellers Journal cover.  So, what did I do!  I made two!  I used this quilt I made for the online challenge group (you can see the original post here).
Following Laura's video I cut it the size she recommended and was lucky enough to have enough quilt leftover to make two!   This is the first one I made...I still have to buy some elastic cord that you add to the center back.  These journals will hold watercolor paper, small journals, etc.






I have lots of quilts I can cut up, as well as small pieces of old quilts I have leftover from making other items (e.g. humbug bags).

This was before I added the elastic that attaches to the back center.  It's used as a closure for the journal.  You'll see a black line in the next picture of the back of the journal. 











And the back...black line shows the elastic loop.  You can see the eyelet at the top and bottom left side.  I'll have to take a picture of the inside so you can see the elastic cord for holding books or papers.

This is the inside before elastic added...The triangles and the sleeve to hold pens are from a quilt I made several years ago that I cut up to make humbug bags.  The lining is a piece of fabric I screen printed.


I just put an old journal in my cover....


This shows the corner triangle that will hold  papers and also shows the cording in the middle where you slip your book or papers in.

Actually, I was going to make a humbug bag for someone but once I saw these I knew it would be perfect as a gift.  I'll have one in the mail this week and I'll be posting why I'm making a gift for this person later this week. 

Until then, I'll have to put the names of our rooms in a jar to see which room gets its day at the "spa"!  Wait...that should be me having a "day at the spa"!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, journal making- my fave. And cleaning- not so much. Back to sewing is a good thing. And I know just what you mean about the shock when you look into the fabric we have. Gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like these journal covers. The Corner pouch is a nice touch and so useful. i started that "spa" thing and did quite well in the living room, bathroom and "my" room. Then the weather finally turned Spring and outside I went to try to clear the yard debris. Who knew a tree or two could shed so many twigs!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your journal cover is beautiful! Glad to see you are “getting down to business.” LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is lovely yet I must say it is stunning as a journal cover. Such a fun way to cover a plain journal. What a wonderful gift! <3

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!