My Favorite Books

Monday, May 15, 2017

Rubbings

I was watching a video by Laura Kemshall on rubbings she made on freezer paper (I think she calls it "deli paper").  Laura uses oil pastel crayons and then transfers the rubbings onto paper (watercolor) using an iron.  On Sunday,  I thought I would try the method on both paper and fabric.  Why not, right!

First off I made rubbings (from one of my hand carved stamps) using 4 different crayons:  $1 oil pastels I've had forever, Fabric Crayons, Neocolor 1 crayon and Gelato pastels.  You are laying the shiny side down on your rubbing....and lay that shiny side face down onto your paper, then iron.

When I was ready to transfer, I laid a piece of fabric next to a small piece of watercolor paper and using the iron, pressed on top of both at the same time.

First up is the cheap oil pastels.....
The rubbing looks good.















Zip for transfer onto cloth...and  watercolor paper
















Next, the Neocolor 1 crayon....
Rubbing, which is beautiful...I think!

Some transfer onto the paper (left) but nothing on fabric






























Gelato pastels.....
Again, nice transfer

Transfer on fabric (left)  more than I thought it would






























And Fabric Crayons, which was the most successful!  Go figure!


Both fabric and watercolor took the transfer















Now, if you are into doing paper journals, cards, etc. you can use the actual rubbing in your work....so not all is wasted.  In my opinion...the idea is really a good one..especially if you are in an area that you know you want to make rubbings.  But I would use the fabric crayons to carry with me.

In all fairness, I didn't use my good oil pastels...just the cheap ones.  Sometime when I'm bored, I will try my Shiva oil pastels.  Perhaps, the quality of the better brands would work best...but I did have fun and a good diversion from cleaning, weeding (ugh, which I hate!) and working on my 'eyes' project!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Robbie…..of course it’s your carved stamp designs that are really the star of the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH no! Not another cool process! Must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experiments take me back to elementary school and art time. We used to have the kids use Fabrc Crayons and draw pictures that we ironed onto fabrics for such gifs as Mother's Day. So much fun to see your different materials and results. Play Day is very earned with all the cleaning and weeding you have been doing. Keep Playing Sweet Robbie...<3

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!