My Favorite Books

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hands are busy, blog isn't!

Yes, my hands have been busy but my blog hasn't been! I've finished lesson 2 of my embroidery class with Susan Sorrell.
The pic on the left is a screen printed piece I did a few years ago. Actually, in Susan's first lesson, she had us stamp/paint our own fabric. I've had two of my screen printed fabrics I brought to Florida, so thought I'd use one of them. Susan did comment that the fabric background would work but I'd have to play with the color of threads. Both of these pictures show the detail of the hand stitching I'm doing. It's given me an opportunity to study colors for sure. I'm using dk green and dk rust/orange threads on my piece. Susan recommended I now try a lighter shade which I'm going to do for my 3rd lesson, which I just printed out.
I've also been working on my fiber Valentines but I can't post pics until after my friends have received them! You can see a peak of just some of them on my blog here. I'm combining machine and hand stitching along with painting on fabric my 'doodles' so it's taking some time but it does make good handwork while watching TV!
And of course we've been busy with friends! It was Tony & Carol's anniversary this past Friday, so we met up with them and L&J, S&P for dinner at one (there are so many favorites!) of our favorite fish restaurants.

The restaurant gave them a slice of key lime pie. Stumpknockers has the BEST fish, shrimp and pie. Bob and I are trying to be good and not eat dessert out this year. In fact, I haven't even been making dessert at home! That's a first for me!

There's a story behind the picture below. Instead of bread at a fish restaurant, they give you crackers! The guys seem to dive into the bowl of crackers as soon as we get seated. In fact, Bob ended up with cracker wrappers in his pocket (thanks to Larry!). I just had to get a picture of all the cracker wrappers.
So today, I'm taking off with Carol to run to JoAnn's and others stops. We're aren't gone that long and the stores are only 6 miles away so we can hit lots of places in a short amount of time! Of course I'll be watching the Steelers play later today! And also hoping for Green Bay to win! I should get lots of hand work done today!!

2 comments:

  1. Embroidery is looking good. I took one of Susan's classes on Joggles before. Her work is delightful. Looking forward to seeing more of your piece. Those fiber valentines are going to be a big hit for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see you have got started on SUsan Sorrell's class, great use of your fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!