My Favorite Books

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Dye Dog #2 Finished

I started on my 2nd Dye Dog (compliments of Kay Sorensen - Quilts + Color) back in February...I did have my knitting project to work on plus I was doing quite a bit of hand stitching on this piece.  

So this was the start of Kay's beautiful shibori hand dyed fabric she created.  I started with stitching all the black lines and in some cases I used a fabric marker too enhance the lines.


 





Kay's fabric is beautiful...nothing about a dye dog in my mind!


I added some black fabric stripes in between pieces of the background fabric.



I saw a tree in her fabric so I took fused black fabric and traced my tree stencil on the back cut out the tree  then fused onto the shibori fabric.  


Of course, I had to add some beads and some other hand work.  The pink is ultra suede that I painted with black fabric paint a few years agao.

I was happy with how the pink stood out as well as the beads.  I added some multi color fabric in a 1/4" strip around the piece to tie in the pink, which is also in the background fabric.


And then the stitching began...I did machine stitched some of the tree limbs in case the fusible didn't hold up.


I was only going to do hand stitching along the bottom of the piece but I really think stitching the entire piece worked out a lot better.


I also added some embroidery thread along the top right just to tie in some of the pink ultra suede.



Another picture of the stitching and beading










ALL FINISHED AND HANGING IN OUR BACK ENTRANCE WAY!  No one comes in the front door!  HA  This way folks will see it!



And these are two layouts using the leftover dye dog fabric.  I am anxious to get started as soon as I get this Cyano printing on paper out of my system!  HA  And I have another project to start documenting the process!  I've put that project on hold for almost two years...so I need to get busy!  Right after I get all these other techniques and projects out of my system or need a break...AND I need a new knitting project!  Oh where is all this time coming from!



14 comments:

  1. There is a ton of work in the piece! The tree shape alone- impressive. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great artist Robbie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I just have fun...love to keep busy and keep my mind busy! HA

      Delete
  3. very nice work, Robbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tree is fantastic......of course the entire piece is as well......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Robbie. Amazing all the work you do and creating such Beautiful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very beautiful Robbie. I especially love the tree. It looks like a strong wind was blowing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the effect I wanted...the background 'dye dog' inspired me!

      Delete
  8. It looks wow!!!! I have that tree stencil too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great stencil...I've used it in so many different ways!

      Delete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!