My Favorite Books

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Upcycled Purses

 My readers know I am fond of Linda/Laura Kemshall's, DesignMattersTV web site.  A year ago they had a video on 'upcycled purses', which I did purchase but I never did make any.  I saw in one of their recent posts they were showcasing it again so I watched!   And then I got out some of my older quilts to cut up!


This was my first tote!  It's leftovers from a quilt I did years and years ago from the pattern, Illusions, by Carol Fallert.  I only had pieces of this leftover from the quilt because I've made other items from it!


The inside is lined and not sure you can see but Laura has a cool way of adding little pieces of fabric to the ends of the zipper, which makes for a really neat and easy way to insert the zipper!


This was  a quilt I made a few years ago.  The sun flower was all beaded!


But I think it ended up being a cute purse.  THese are only around 7-8" x 6".  I added some embroidery to the quilted fabric because it was too plain. 


See the blue pieces at the zipper ends?  Clever and makes for a neat finish!













I made this shibori piece/quilt a long time ago!  So, since it's just sitting around, time to cut it up too!


I think it made a nice tote/purse!






This quilt was done for our yearly exhibit in 2009...exhibit was 'inspired by Aubrey Beardsley.


I'll get two totes from this quilt

I'm making these for little Christmas gifts for the girls.  Only need about 6 more!  But I'm having fun making them!


3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of DesignMatters TV. Those totes are fabulous! What a great way to turn those quilted pieces into fun gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how very clever…..I’m currently cutting up VERY old faded small wall quilts (really from back in the ’90’s) and making them into notebook covers….I like your idea better!!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!