My Favorite Books

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Book Review Time

 A friend recommended books by Marie Benedict so I searched on our library web site and found one that was available called 'The Only Woman in the Room'. 


 It's about the Hollywood actress, Heddy Lamar, who was also a wanna be scientist!  Who knew!  She actually has a patent on her idea for a secret communication system, which some feel was used to develop the GPS in our phones today!   The book was very well written and I've ordered two more to read  The Other Einstein and Carnegie's Maid (I usually upload library book to my Ipod but I like to have a book for reading at night in bed).  








Next up are books by JoJo Moyes.  I've been listening to her books on my Ipod and they are really good! The first one I read was 'Me Before You'!   I'm not big on 'sad books' or movies but this was a good read.  








I'm almost finished with her next in this sequel called 'After You'...again, good read!  The next one is called 'Still Me'..can you see a pattern here!  Moyes is a good writer...I think I'll try to see what some of her others books are like...I think they are like the Hallmark channel books...that's what I call them.  To be honest, I don't watch Hallmark...stories are too predictable.  I'm surprised I've read almost two of her books!  HA




  


This was a very good book written by Barry Petersen, TV reporter called 'Jan's Story'.  It's about love lost to Alzheimer's.  It was so well written and certainly from the heart!  I remember seeing a documentary on he and his wife years ago in which he shared his experiences with losing his wife to this terrible disease.  If you have a family member or loved one or even a friend with this disease, it's a good book to read.







And the next review was a book my walking bud's friend, Ron Gries, wrote.  It's about the loss of his wife and his life after, called 'Through Death to Life'.


  I know this seems like I'm reading depressing books but, like Jan's Story, this really isn't a depressing books.  Ron wrote this book, for the most part, in free verse poetry and it's really beautiful.  I was lucky enough to be given this book by Ron and I certainly will cherish it.  I want to reread and mark several of his verses and words to reflect back on.  He shares his emotions and the journey he had to take during his wife's illness and his life after.  A very good read too!

I hope, if you haven't heard of any of these books, you'll look them up!  Or if you have,  did you like or dislike them?  You never know how a book will effect you do you!  Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. Such interesting selections…..will give them a try….thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book reviews...I'm looking forward to reading Boys in the Boat (yours) and just got all 3 of Jojo Moyes in my digital library....Someone else also recommended her so I'm looking forward to those also...I love the audio for when I'm in my studio...so much better than the news these days!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!