My Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The Dress From Hell.....


OK, that title is probably a tad severe but......here's the story...around Thanksgiving time, my grandson asked if I could make a lining for his girlfriend, Braylon's dress.  Appears when she ordered the dress online it didn't look sheer (have to support her on this...I looked the dress up and it's not sheer online!). 

You can see the lower back showing through the front...see how sheer this is!  Plus it sewn with thousands of clear sequins!

 The engineer in my grandson made him make this statement to me "all you have to do, grandma, is make a template out of some material and then sew it on".  Yes, I just stood and stared at him...not saying a word.  So last week, my DIL finally brought up this dress along with some material she purchased at JoAnn's.  I forgot all about last fall and this dress!!!

You can how sheer it is...with my fingers showing through the breast area on the top!  YIKES!






So, taking my grandson's advice!  HA HA HA  I  made a template for the breast area out of the swim suit fabric Kris purchased.  It was nice fabric to work with and wasn't very slippery!  



I was feeling pretty cocky making this template and getting it sewn on and looking good!  So I reversed the template and finished both front breast areas.....Next came how to tackle the body of the dress!!









I had some large pieces of brown paper and made a template from the front of the dress.  
I decided before I cut into the swim suit fabric I better cut out a muslin pattern.  Well, I didn't have any muslin but I do have old sheets to use for painting.  I grabbed one and cut out the template and pinned around the dress to make sure it would fit.  WHEW...lots of cutting and pasting!  HA



I finally got the nerve to cut out the template and started stitching.  It worked out quite well by just hand stitching around the side edges.  Of course, I had to manipulate to join in with the breast area I had already finished but it worked out fine!













Wasn't that easy!  NOT...but I kept hearing my grandson's voice saying how easy it would be!  HA  Front done...now to tackle that back with the low scoop back area!  Heaven help me!

I tried to use the same pattern for the front of the dress for the back but it just wasn't working out...so I had to cut another paper pattern. 





 I decided I'd use my blue marker, which I've used so often in my quilting, to create the scoop area.  Well, I tried to iron out the blue marker when I was done but it wouldn't come out!  

YIKES...I know it was on the lining but I just didn't want it to show.  I was so upset because I use this often.  
Then I was eating dinner thinking about that dumb pen and remembered!!!!!  I use this pen for my beading and embroidery work.  WHY?  Because I can spit on my finger to erase a line if I don't like it!  This isn't the iron out marker but the water soluble marker!  DUH!  came right out with water!  WHEW!





And this is the finished lining for the back.  That's the zipper on the left side so it hangs funny.  Just hope it looks better when it's on a body!  HA


And as you'll see below...quite a difference.  And I am telling my grandson he owes me....payment will be one text a week or every 10 days saying "HI" along with 5 or more words!  HA HA
Nick is good at one word replies!




BEFORE AND AFTER




















 

3 comments:

  1. Seriously now, that is sheer! And what a monumental task. It seemed so simple to him. All YOU have to do is... Key word, YOU. Always more to any task than meets the eye. But you did it successfully- yay YOU. I was afraid you were going to say that because you ironed the blue line that it failed to come out with wetting. Did you have a deadline, too? Phew. Hope she likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I had to hem my granddaughters homecoming dress that was covered with teal sequins. It had a mermaid hem so that was a challenge. When I took my machine in for service, he handed me a half ziploc sandwich bag of sequins! LOL! The things we do for our grands. She is jow clipping the claws of the cat she guilty me into bringing me home as payment for both things!!!

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!