My Favorite Books

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A project from the past.....

Everyday I head downstairs to let the girls out (deck/stairs are too icy this time of year to go out patio door)...anyway, I see this quilt often throughout the day, which I have folded on one of the chairs!  I thought I'd take a picture of it and share it's story. 


I started working on this in 2000 while taking classes at our local quilt shop.  It's made up of scraps!  Lots of scraps...I think the 12" blocks were part of our local quilt shop designs they gave us.  I don't remember back that far!  But it is a big bugger that's for sure!!! 

And the backing is an old sheet I dyed with tea bags!  What did I know back then!  HA



This is a picture of me hand basting it downstairs!  This was taken October 8, 2000!  You can see the date, which is reversed in the picture.  That's because it's on the iron on photo transfer paper (by Ami Simms - remember that paper you would take to the local print shop!).  I was going to put this on the back of the quilt label.












The flowers and leaves/stems are machine applique.  I do know some of the fabric is from a graduation dress I made for my daughter back in '84.  Good way to use up scraps..that's for sure.  I know it's not a very pretty quilt but it looks old!  Isn't that worth something! 





That dark blue is from her graduation dress.  It's in the quilt on several flowers...not a lot of contrast on these flowers, is there!


I was going to hand quilt it and I did start!  Hence, it still sits downstairs and isn't finished!  You can see some of the hand quilting...

 I do pride myself on finishing my quilts and my UFO pile is almost nil...but this bugger is still there...perhaps I'll take this UFO and finish it this next summer.  But it will be finished by machine! 

 I honestly don't even think about this quilt..other than looking at it and thinking...nice scrap quilt!  HA  Until then...it makes a nice blanket for Santa! 


4 comments:

  1. It is lovely…..yes, finish it by machine and let your family (and Santa) enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does have a vintage look which is very appealing. Do finish it when you can. Some of those UFOs require us to pscyh ourselves up to get them to the finish line. The size is daunting, so yes, machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! And wow, dying the entire backing with tea bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the quilt and the story. We all have UFO's hanging around, I'm sure. You will feel better about it once it is quilted and bound. It looks very different from what I'd think of as your style, even with your wide ranging style.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!