My Favorite Books

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Picky...picky








Who knew trying to find the right 'blue' beads for a squirrel would be so difficult!  Last week I stopped at my favorite bead shop here in Ocala! and picked up some lighter shades of blue/grays for my squirrels chest/belly area.   See the arrows...I want those a different shade from his body...Of course, the beads were not the right color so on Sunday, my bud Sally and I headed off to the bead store.  I exchanged the beads for a few different colors...still not sure it's going to work...but in the meantime....










I decided to remove the beading from around the little guys head.  Kate, from Kate Boyan's Gallery, gave me a great suggestion a few years back to outline bead my piece before I start the 'real' beading.  This was and still is a good suggestion but for this little guy I want his 'fur' beads to be more fur like?  OK, I can't think of a good word for it but I think it will work out.   So I did some unbeading...a little like 'unsewing'!   And then I started beading his little whiskers and his eye.  I'm happy with the eye and add'l whiskers will be added after he's attached to a quilt.




I finished his back/tail area and started on his shoulder area. He's coming along!!!  Slow but sure!



7 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

I’m loving this…..even more knowing how difficult the stitching is for your wrist!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Little feathery hairs around his face perhaps? Your squirrel is coming right along.
xx, Carol

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Your are getting close to finish. Maybe a different shape of bead.

Cyndi L said...

You *have* to be picky when it comes to bead colors...so many colors and finishes to choose from! I know you'll get the exact right color :-)

Quilter Beth said...

My gosh, you are getting a lot done on this piece! He/she is REALLY looking good. Is the piece "heavy?"

Windy Hill Happenings said...

He/she is just adorable...

Createology said...

Blue Squirrel is divine. Your beading skills are amazing and I totally agree with taking out the face outline. Bead colors are very tricky...especially in different lighting. Happy Beading Dear and do take care of your wrists. <3