My Favorite Books

Sunday, June 24, 2012

What do you do on a warm summer day!

So what do you do on a warm summer day!  I played with making some more mandalas.  I had some dyes leftover from last week's dyeing attempt of mandalas so I wanted to keep trying my hand at this technique.  Each of these pieces range from 12-15" square...well sorta square!

Bob and I sat out most of yesterday afternoon on the deck, so it was a perfect time to tie up these pieces.  Today I mixed up some dyes and Kalee and I worked in my dye area!  Sitting out in the hot sun in a baggie sure does the trick! 

This piece above started out as white, then I added some yellow dye, then the mid range brilliant blue.   I finally got some definition showing my white lines that were tied!

This next piece was a fat quarter orange hand dyed I did several years ago...I just used the dark blue dye and let the orange come through.  
This too was the left over hand dyed orange piece and I used a mid blue and dark blue on it.
This was a white piece that I  used yellow and  Havana Brown.  I actually like this piece a lot.  I looks really nice in person.  In fact, they all look a lot brighter and nicer in person.  Isn't that always the way!  Well, we are quilters and dyers and not photographers, right!

For this next piece...This actually was one of my first attempts that turned out quite light with hardly any definition of my tied lines.  So I retied the piece and added black just so I could see more clearly where I'm not getting enough dye down into the folds.  This piece is really nice too.

This is what the piece above looked like before I redid the 'retie'!  Interesting, isn't it!  You can see where I didn't get enough dye in the folds the first time.
All in all I'm happy with my progress and see that I just need to keep stabbing away at putting more dye in the folds!  Even so, these pieces will make something nice up...just don't know what it will or could be!  Another lady commented on our lesson post asking what folks may be doing with their pieces.  Guess I need to start thinking about that....well, not yet...I'd rather keep playing with making them up.  It's a good way to use up some of my old hand dyes. 

2 comments:

  1. WOW.......I LOVE that third one....it is absolutely amazing! Looks like you are having a blast with this technique.....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do with them. You are SO creative.

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!