My Favorite Books

Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Being retired you forget what a holiday is all about! Seems like we are on holiday every day and every weekend. At least when we remember it's a weekend! That's the hardest part is trying to remember what day it is! So today will be like a 'normal' retiree day!
I've been trying out some of the recipes from Bethenny Frankel's book and made her stuffed mushrooms yesterday. They were fantastic! I did make some changes only because I didn't have everything and had some leftover ingredients to use. I added about 1/4 cup of chopped spinach and about 1/8 cup of balsamic rice. These were great and a good replacement for meat. I also made some banana chocolate chip cookies that are wonderful! Only 1 tsp. oil and no egg...really good too. A great snack! I did order the book as the one I'm reading now is from the library. I've watched Bethenny on Housewives of New York (she was also on the Martha Stewart Apprentice show) and I think she's a hoot. Plus, I like her ideas on weight control. Just logic to watch your portions and balance carbs/proteins/etc. My cholesterol is way down and I've really been trying to watch even more our food intake (I've been off my statin's since my RA started up in the fall). I don't want to go back on the statin so if I can keep my cholesterol under control by the diet, I'll do that instead. I'll never give up my sweets! But it's a matter of give and take! I'll give up some other food so I can have my sweets! That's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!